Monday, January 30, 2012

Rome wasn't built in a day

And I won't lose 40 lbs in a day either.  The one part of having a baby that I find the most frustrating is the physical recovery.  As of today, I am down 25lbs...leaving me with 15lbs to lose before I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight.  Now that weight isn't just fat, it comes along with flabby skin and what I like to call "my overhang" where the residual belly fat actually hangs over my C-Section scar, which is awesome (snicker, cry, laugh on the inside).  

There is a major disconnect in society and in women's minds, that says that we should all be in our pre-pregnancy jeans just days after birth. Between celebrities who have babies and 6 weeks later are seen looking svelt and fit and tv programs that show misleading fictional characters giving birth and then returning to a size 4, it's not a surprise, that many women are a bit off when they think about the recovery time from giving birth. 

Now, don't get me wrong, there are bionic women out there, with fantastic genetics, who 6 weeks after birth look fantastic...but for most of us, the genetically typical, it takes work, dedication and time.  For me, it will take at least 9 months, if not closer to a year, for me to be back to 100% normal physically.  As frustrating as that is, I just keep reminding myself that I am not abnormal if it takes me a longer amount of time to lose weight and get back to my normal self.  It just means my body is healing at it's own pace and in it's own time.  There is nothing wrong with that.

No comments: