Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Is Rusty still in the Navy?

My brother Mike came to visit this past weekend.  It was bizarre because honestly I didn't know he was coming and usually, he tells me and I help coordinate his arrival on surprise days...mostly because I am the best at keeping secrets and I am the most organized at arranging pick ups and drop offs without anyone knowing what I am up to.  For this visit Mike utilized my father.  Amazingly enough, my dad did NOT spill the beans about Mike's pending visit.  Which I know for him, was probably the most difficult secret to keep from our family. 

I was very lucky that I got to spend multiple days hanging out with my younger brother.  It's not often that he and I get to just sit and talk about life, work, love, family, etc...so it was wonderful to be able to have a visit.

O was completely taken by her Uncle Michael and hasn't stopped talking about him since he left.  For her, he has always been just a name, mostly because he lives in the Orlando, FL area and it's hard for us to get down to visit him with kids, work, me completing my M.Ed...in general just life getting in the way.  I have yet to visit him in Florida, which I hope to rectify at some point in 2012.  Even if we could go for a few days, I'd love to see where he lives, see him perform, and just get a glimpse into his life.  O loved playing with him while he was here...I think she might have a career in the arts...apparently she was excellent at improv!

When I was in CA and he was in Chicago, we made it a point to visit each other.  Thanksgivings at each other's houses, random trips to see each other.  I had a wonderful time every time I saw my brother.  I will always be grateful that I got to see him during that time in his life - cheap beer, going out to his local bar with his friends, comedy, improv, football on the street, a dollar bill engagement ring, interesting conversations, the shocker story, turkey covered in bacon on Thanksgiving, an apartment with two kitchens...I feel fortunate that I got to see that part of his life.
My brother is truly an amazing person.  He has lived in Chicago and Orlando and has pursued his dream of bringing entertainment to the people.  He continues to work on developing his craft as an improviser and as an actor.  He has done voice-work, commercial work, hosted Internet based programming and continues to work at Walt Disney World as a cast member of three attractions.  I am proud of him for working toward his dreams and not being afraid to go for the life and career he wants. 
I think it's easy for so many of us to get lost on the way to our actual initial dream/vision.  Looking back at our childhood dreams, my brother wanted to be an actor as long as I can remember.  He even said that the person he admired most in elementary school was the actor Kevin Kline. 

I had many dreams - Astronaut, Solid Gold Dancer, Cardiologist, Singer, Artist, Architect, member of the US Military as a Public Affairs Officer, Radio DJ, Marketing Director, Teacher, Scientist, Meteorologist, Wife and Mother.  Some of my dreams I have reached, others I failed at miserably...but without those failures I would not be the person I am today.  And for the record, my dreaming days are not over...I will still be more things before I'm done.

No comments: