Sunday, July 20, 2008

carmelized onions

Today I learned how to make something new - carmelized onions. Ok so seriously it's not that hard to make them but since I barely have been able to boil water until recently, I thought it was worthwhile to figure out HOW to make something new. That being said, I was cutting onions for salad while Dave was cooking steak so I got out my Better Homes & Gardens Newlywed Cookbook (thanks Kathi) and looked up Onions. That's when I learned that all I needed was butter and a skillet...ok...easy enough...so I did it. I carmelized onions all by myself. Dave and I both had them on our filets and they were awesome. Clearly if you follow the directions cooking is much easier.
This is the second time I have used my new cookbook...The first time I used it was to figure out how to make chocolate chip cookies. And apparently I did that pretty well as well, even my Grammy thought so, and if I could impress her with my cooking then obviously I'm doing something right!
I figure that since I'm about 80 days from becoming someone's mother I should know how to make more meals. I am very lucky that my husband likes to cook for me, but I think I should know how to make things as well. I feel like it's such a change from my single gal ways, but isn't life really all about change? I never have been much of a cook (though I can make an excellent salad) but I know that if I am going to have a family I should be at least able to feed them.

1 comment:

Sara said...

i remember the mess hall was one of the things i missed most about the wick since my cooking skills were & still are close to nothing! glad to see there is hope me, since you're enjoying learning how to cook!