Monday, June 23, 2008

the NEW dress

So this past Saturday my mom, my sister and I headed to Bridals by Valerie to review the original dress and decide what to do. Now, I knew it looked bad going in, and it really got me down, so I expected Beth and my mom to either LOVE it or HATE it...and both of them thought it was HIDEOUS. Which was funny...just because Beth was really blunt - she was like "oh no Jenny, take it off" and my mom, who later told me she was trying to put on a brave face said "it's not THAT bad" but deep down she knew, it was just awful.

so...with that information, the choices were limited. we could do our best with what we had and the seamstress could work on trying to work with the material OR we could just give up and get another dress, which is what we ended up doing.

Beth, my mom and Emily the seamstress went to the discontinued rack and looked at the options. These are the dresses that are no longer available to order, but they still have one in the store. I tried on a bunch of them...and we ended up narrowing it down to two...both are off white, one was more simple and the other was a little more elaborate. Just based on what was going to best fit my baby belly...we went with the one that was a bit more elaborate.

i should say here that what's "elaborate" to me, is really not "elaborate" to anyone else. The dress originally had sleeves, and a really long train, but once altered is now sleeveless and has a very small train, which is FINE with me. The top has a sweetheart neckline with silver beading that is in the shape of flowers and sort of matches the cake oddly enough...and will look very pretty with a bright gerber daisy in my hair.

It's empire waisted and from there just flows down ever so slightly. It's really pretty honestly. Definitely NOT something I'd ever pick out for myself. I am not into beading really, or the flowing thing, but with the fact that I also am not in the shape I was in 24 weeks and 3 days ago - my body at this point wouldn't be able to support the type of dress I would pick. I am a huge fan of simple, no beads, maybe some lace, but this is very flowy and makes my baby and my boobs look good, which is really all a girl can ask for at this point. And it looks like a wedding dress, which I know made my mom happy. She loves the bridal look. During the alterations, we even agreed on a small train, which for me was a hard thing to do - but considering that she is paying for a new dress and alterations in the 11th hour, the least I could do is give in and go for the little train. It made her happy and truthfully it's behind me anyway...so it's not like I have to look at it.

I feel very lucky to have a mom who is so good to me. She's honest, caring, wonderful and considering how much of a pain in the ass I have been lately about this wedding she truly has been amazing to me. I am so lucky to have her. She is willing to do whatever it takes to make my wedding perfect for me, which is wonderful. I truly appreciate her support!

1 comment:

Sara said...

sorry I missed these prior to the wedding, but I think your "new" dress looked FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!